Welcome to Miss Gossage's Class
Welcome to Foundation at Salisbury Road Primary School.
This term our topic is Transport.
In our transport topic we will be exploring different types of transport, talking about the transport that we use and comparing this to other parts of the world. Our topic will run throughout our environment with opportunities to play with different types of transport in our small world area, use our car wash and garage and make our own mode of transport with junk modelling in the art area. Finally, we will be using our Oracy skills to tell our friends which type of transport we would rather use and why.
Autumn walk - Thursday 17th October 9.30 - 11.30
Parent lunch - Thursday 17th October 11.30 - 12.30
Last day of term (Autumn 1) - Friday 18th October
Staff training day - Monday 28th October
Children back to school for Autumn 2 - Tuesday 29th October
Trip to Tothill library - Tuesday 12th November - 1.30pm FRW and 2.00 FSG
Christmas Bedtime Stories - Friday 6th December - 5.15-6.15
Christmas Nativity performances - Wednesday 11th December - 10am-11am - 2pm - 3pm.
Last day or term (Autumn 2) - Friday 20th December
A little bit about us...
Miss Gossage - I have been teaching in Foundation for 9 years and am excited to continue my role as Foundation team leader this year. I love being active and I enjoy running, going to the gym and rock climbing! This year I completed the London Marathon and I can be a bit competitive at times! I am also a BIG fan of chocolate! I have a real passion for Early Years and can't wait to see how the year progresses!
Mrs Yearling - This is my second year in Foundation and I am really excited for the new school year. All three of my children attend/attended Salisbury Road and loved it! I became part of the team in 2018 as a TA in Year 1. I enjoy going to the beach and of course I love chocolate too!
Mrs Baker - I am new to the Foundation team this year and I am looking forward to a new challenge. I spent last year in Year 2 and I will be working Mondays and Tuesdays in Foundation. All of my children attend/attended Salisbury Road and also loved it! It is a great family school and I am proud to work along side my sister Mrs Yearling.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 5 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We will begin to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 12.45.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy/blending session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Monday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.