Welcome to Miss Gossage's Class
Training day - Monday 6th January
First day of term - Tuesday 7th January
Animal dress up day - Friday 10th January
Dartmoor Zoo trip - Friday 7th February
Tothill library trip - Tuesday 11th February
Last day of term - Friday 14th February
Welcome to Foundation at Salisbury Road Primary School.
This term our topic is Animals.
This term our topic is Animals. We base our topics around the children's interests and recently they have shown a keen passion for animals. Throughout the Spring 1 term we will be exploring animals from all over the world including Africa, the Arctic, Asia and Europe. Our topic will run throughout our environment with opportunities to look for bugs and play with different animals in our small world area. We will exploring non-fiction writing and we will use our knowledge of animals to create our own fact book to take home.
Outside of school we will be taking a trip to Dartmoor Zoo. We are very excited to see all of the amazing animals. We will also have the chance to hold some creepy crawlies in our close encounters session.
Our Boat Trip...
On Thursday 14th November the Foundation children went on a Boat trip as part of our Transport topic. We boarded the boat at the Barbican and it took us around Plymouth Sound, up to the Tamar Bridge then back again. We saw lots of exciting things including a submarine, navy ship, police boat and sea birds. Everyone got to have a go at steering the boat.
A little bit about us...
Miss Gossage - I have been teaching in Foundation for 9 years and am excited to continue my role as Foundation team leader this year. I love being active and I enjoy running, going to the gym and rock climbing! This year I completed the London Marathon and I can be a bit competitive at times! I am also a BIG fan of chocolate! I have a real passion for Early Years and can't wait to see how the year progresses!
Mrs Yearling - This is my second year in Foundation and I am really excited for the new school year. All three of my children attend/attended Salisbury Road and loved it! I became part of the team in 2018 as a TA in Year 1. I enjoy going to the beach and of course I love chocolate too!
Mrs Baker - I am new to the Foundation team this year and I am looking forward to a new challenge. I spent last year in Year 2 and I will be working Mondays and Tuesdays in Foundation. All of my children attend/attended Salisbury Road and also loved it! It is a great family school and I am proud to work along side my sister Mrs Yearling.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 5 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We will begin to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 12.45.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy/blending session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Wednesday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.