Welcome to Miss Woods' Foundation Class Page
Our topic is Sea Creatures
In Foundation we have been learning about animals from around the world. We have used our great Oracy skills to talk about our favourite animals, which animal was the odd one out and which animal we would rather have as a pet. We have enjoyed looking at some non-fiction animals books and we have even made our own fact book, writing some interesting facts and labelled pictures. On Wednesday 5th June Foundation went on a trip to Dartmoor Zoo. We enjoyed seeing many different animals and we even got to told some creepy creatures in our close encounters session.
At the moment we are focusing on sea creatures. We will be learning about the different sea creatures and how we can help to conserve them and our oceans. In a couple of weeks we will be Skyping a real Marine Scientist team on an expedition to explore our changing oceans. We will write questions to ask them to learn more about how our oceans have changed and what we can do to help preserve them.
Important dates ...
- Monday 3rd June - Children Return to school
- Wednesday 5th June - Trip to Dartmoor Zoo
- Monday 10th June - Friday 21st June - A selection of our Foundation children will be going to our local care home to join in with some great educational experiences.
- Thursday 13th June - Sports Day
- Tuesday 25th June - Parents open afternoon.
- Tuesday 2nd July - Meet my Year 1 teacher afternoon.
- Friday 19th July - Last day of term
A little bit about us...
Miss Woods- I am new to Foundation this year and I am enjoying the play based environment and learning. This is my third year of teaching at Salisbury Road and I have previously taught Year 1 and got to know the school through PPA cover. I love animals and have two pet tarantulas at home. I also enjoy going to the gym, swimming and eating chocolate!
Mrs Giles - I have been working in Foundation for many years and have really enjoyed working as a team to create a fantastic learning environment for the children. I love helping children to reach their full potential. I am currently enrolled on a foundation degree to learn more about children's learning styles. I love walking my dog Rolo and going on adventures in my bumble van.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 2 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We are beginning to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 1.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Monday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
What have we been up to?