Welcome to Miss Woods' Class
Welcome to Foundation at Salisbury Road Primary School.
This term our topic is Animals.
This term our topic is Animals. We base our topics around the children's interests and recently they have shown a keen passion for animals. Throughout the Spring 1 term we will be exploring animals from all over the world including Africa, the Arctic, Asia and Europe. Our topic will run throughout our environment with opportunities to look for bugs and play with different animals in our small world area. We will be exploring non-fiction writing and we will use our knowledge of animals to create our own fact book to take home.
Outside of school we will be taking a trip to Dartmoor Zoo. We are very excited to see all of the amazing animals. We will also have the chance to hold some creepy crawlies in our close encounters session.
Animal dress up day
Training day - Monday 6th January
First day of term - Tuesday 7th January
Animal dress up day - Friday 10th January
Dartmoor Zoo trip - Friday 7th February
Tothill library trip - Tuesday 11th February
Learning Journey open morning - Thursday 13th February (8.45 - 9.15)
Last day of term - Friday 14th February
Our Boat Trip...
On Thursday 14th November the Foundation children went on a Boat trip as part of our Transport topic. We boarded the boat at the Barbican and it took us around Plymouth Sound, up to the Tamar Bridge then back again. We saw lots of exciting things including a submarine, navy ship, police boat and sea birds. Everyone got to have a go at steering the boat.
A little bit about us...
Miss Woods- This is my second year in Foundation and I am excited to develop my EYFS knowledge. It is my fourth year of teaching at Salisbury Road and I have previously taught Year 1 and got to know the school through PPA cover. I love animals and have two pet tarantulas at home. I also enjoy going to the gym, swimming and eating chocolate!
Mrs Giles - I have been working in Foundation for many years and have really enjoyed working as a team to create a fantastic learning environment for the children. I love helping children to reach their full potential. I am currently enrolled on a foundation degree to learn more about children's learning styles. I love walking my dog Rolo and going on adventures in my bumble van.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 5 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We will begin to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 12.45.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy/blending session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Wednesday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.