Welcome to Miss Woods' Class
Welcome to Foundation at Salisbury Road Primary School.
This term our topic is People who help us.
This term our topic is all about People who help us. We will be learning about different roles within our community. This will include teachers, Firefighters, Police, Guide dogs, Doctors and Nurses. This term we will be visiting the Greenbank Fire Station and we will be writing some questions to ask a Police Officer when he comes to visit our class. We are also lucky enough to be having a visit from the Teddy Bears Hospital who will show us what is inside a doctors' bag, teach us about different parts of our body and help our teddies to feel better with a 'pawscription'.
Animal dress up day
Back to school - Monday 24th February
Pancake tasting - Tuesday 25th February
Visit from Guide dogs - Friday 28th February
Reports out to parents - Tuesday 3rd March
Teddy Bear hospital - Wednesday 4th March
World Book Day - Thursday 5th March
Science week - Monday 9th March to Friday 13th March
Parents evening - Monday 9th March and Wednesday 11th March
Class assemblies - Thursday 12th March FSG - 9.15 FRW - 2.30
Visit from PC Mills-Coombe - Friday 27th March
Last day of term - Friday 27th March
Our Boat Trip...
On Thursday 14th November the Foundation children went on a Boat trip as part of our Transport topic. We boarded the boat at the Barbican and it took us around Plymouth Sound, up to the Tamar Bridge then back again. We saw lots of exciting things including a submarine, navy ship, police boat and sea birds. Everyone got to have a go at steering the boat.
A little bit about us...
Miss Woods- This is my second year in Foundation and I am excited to develop my EYFS knowledge. It is my fourth year of teaching at Salisbury Road and I have previously taught Year 1 and got to know the school through PPA cover. I love animals and have two pet tarantulas at home. I also enjoy going to the gym, swimming and eating chocolate!
Mrs Giles - I have been working in Foundation for many years and have really enjoyed working as a team to create a fantastic learning environment for the children. I love helping children to reach their full potential. I am currently enrolled on a foundation degree to learn more about children's learning styles. I love walking my dog Rolo and going on adventures in my bumble van.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 5 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We will begin to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 12.45.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy/blending session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Wednesday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.