Welcome to Miss Woods' Foundation Page
Our topic this term is 'People who help us!'
We are looking forward to exploring the roles of different professionals in our community including: Teachers, Doctors, Lifeguards, Fire Safety Officers and Police Officers.
The Teddy Bear Hospital will be visiting us on Monday 18th March to teach us about our bodies and to help make our teddies feel better. We will also be visiting the Fire Station and we have invited our local PCSO's into our school for a talk.
Important dates ...
- 28th March - Foundation Spring Disco - 3.30-4.15
- 4th April - FRW Class Assembly 9.30am
- Friday 5th April - Last day of Spring 2 term.
- Monday 22nd April - First day back - Summer 1.
A little bit about us...
Miss Woods- I am new to Foundation this year and I am enjoying the play based environment and learning. This is my third year of teaching at Salisbury Road and I have previously taught Year 1 and got to know the school through PPA cover. I love animals and have two pet tarantulas at home. I also enjoy going to the gym, swimming and eating chocolate!
Mrs Giles - I have been working in Foundation for many years and have really enjoyed working as a team to create a fantastic learning environment for the children. I love helping children to reach their full potential. I am currently enrolled on a foundation degree to learn more about children's learning styles. I love walking my dog Rolo and going on adventures in my bumble van.
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 2 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We are beginning to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 1.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Our PE day will be Monday, please make sure you provide your child with a PE kit.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
What have we been up to?