Welcome to Miss Pearce's Foundation Class Page
Our topic this term is 'Animals'
In Foundation we are exploring animals from around the world. We have used our great Oracy skills to talk about our favourite animals, which animal was the odd one out and which animal we would rather have as a pet. We have enjoyed looking at some non-fiction animals books and we have even made our own fact book, writing some interesting facts and labelled pictures.
Our new story is 'The Lion Inside'. We had fun making actions to help us remember our story map. We then used the story map to write our own version of the story with a beginning, middle and end.
As part of the last day of term celebrations we are going to be having a 'Festival of Fun' on Friday 24th May. In foundation we will be dressing up as our favourite animals. This can be any type of animal from dinosaurs, cats, fish or monkeys. The possibilities are endless, get creative! As always the staff will be joining in too.
On Wednesday 5th June Foundation will be going on a trip to Dartmoor Zoo. We will be leaving and returning with in school times so there will be no change to normal school times. We hope that this experience will bring our animals topic alive.
Important dates ...
- Monday 20th May - Learning Journey Morning for parents 8:45 - 9:10
- Thursday 23rd - School Closed Non-pupil Day
- Friday 24th May - Animal dress up day
- Friday 24th May - Festival of Fun and last day of term
- Monday 3rd June - Children Return to school
- Wednesday 5th June - Trip to Dartmoor Zoo
- Thursday 13th June - Sports Day
- End of June - Library trip?
- Friday 19th July - Last day of term
A little bit about us...
Miss Pearce - I have been a teacher at Salisbury Road Primary for 11 years. I have worked across all of the year groups but spent most of my time in KS1. This is my first year in Foundation and I am very excited to see what the year holds. Outside of School I love spending time with my family and I have a very sweet tooth!
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 2 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We are beginning to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 1.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
What have we been up to...