Welcome to Miss Pearce's Foundation Class Page
Our topic this term is Space!
We are looking forward to a visit from the Space Odyssey Dome. This will allow us to travel through Space and experience the Solar System without even leaving our school! We will also be writing some questions about Space to ask Tim Peake.
Important dates ...
- 1st February - Space Odyssey visit
- 15th February - Last day of Spring term 1
- 25th February - Back to school for Spring term 2
- 4th April - FGP Class Assembly 2:30
A little bit about us...
Miss Pearce - I have been a teacher at Salisbury Road Primary for 11 years. I have worked across all of the year groups but spent most of my time in KS1. This is my first year in Foundation and I am very excited to see what the year holds. Outside of School I love spending time with my family and I have a very sweet tooth!
A day in Foundation ...
- School starts at 8.45. As soon as the children are settled we do the register and lunches before Phonics.
- In Phonics we learn 2 sounds per week, using them to segment and blend the sounds together to make words. We are beginning to use our phonics to read and write simple sentences. After phonics we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- Everyday we do a Maths session from 11 o'clock untill 11.45. We use practical objects to support and develop our understanding of number and shape, space and measure.
- We go to lunch at 11.45 and return at 1.
- After lunch we do a reading or writing session. We practise our key reading skills (prediction, inference, questioning etc) as well as segmenting and blending to support our word and sentence writing. After reading or writing we free flow between the 3 classrooms and our outdoor area.
- At the end of the day we do a short Oracy session and brush our teeth before going home at 3.15pm.
Homework and Reading ...
Homework will be a short 15-20 minute task given out on a Friday - please aim to return the homework by Thursday so we can pop new homework in.
All children will be given a non word book to start with so you can talk about the pictures and use your imagination. Please aim to read with your child as often as possible! If your child reads 4 times a week at home (recorded in their reading diary) they will be entered into a raffle to win a book at the end of the term.
All children are also able to choose a library book from the school library to take home every Friday. Please enjoy this book with your child in your free time and return every Friday so they can choose another.
What have we been up to...